Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Plug Weaning

Over the last couple of months Alan and I have been much more intentional about when, where and for what period of time we allow Adeline to have her plug. Mostly she's been able to dictate plug usage because she was always really good at giving it up when we didn't want her to have it. Well, the last couple of days we've really stepped it up and we were only letting her have it for sleep - both naps and overnight. However this stepping it up has also seen a dramatic increase in tantrum throwing. Yesterday at Target I saw the biggest tantrum I've ever seen in my life. It was totally out of control. (Thankfully both Alan and I were there and Alan was able to take her out to the car so I could finish our shopping.) Since we'd already seen the mother of all tantrums take place we figured we didn't have much to lose in trying to go without the plug overnight. I was expecting some crying and maybe some frustration. But when I put her in her crib and said, "Nigh-night," she looked up at me, holding Doug, and said, "No plug." I said, "That's right. No plug for my big girl." I exited the room and didn't hear a peep! (Well, till 4am which seems to be a regular thing these days...) And today for her nap there was a little bit of fuss, but it didn't last long. Her nap was significantly shorter - about an hour instead of two and a half - but I think that will change. And tonight when I put her in her crib it was the same thing as last night - "Nigh-night," "No plug."

So I am quite hopeful that even the remembrance of the plug will soon pass. She seems to be doing okay without it. Although the tantrums are ridiculously awful. I'm only assuming this is associated with the lack of the soothing plug during the day because the increase in number and severity coincides quite perfectly with our decision to pull the plug, so to speak ;-). Although it could also just be because we're getting just that close to 2... Only time will tell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or it could be because she is Alan's daughter! I remember leaving a store several times with a red-faced, wriggling toddler who was screaming loud enough to be heard in New York! It is funny now... One thing that helps--limit carbs and sweets--lots of lean protein. (my kids have heard this broken record for years!)
Love you guys so much.
Mom