Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 26, 2009

Wasps!

The only reason I’m including this little story in the blog is because of how cute Adeline was and how well she handled the situation.

We were just sitting around spending some time as a family when we noticed a very, and I mean very large wasp hovering around. I was already holding Evelyn and took Adeline’s hand and whisked us all down the hallway to Adeline’s room where we camped out while Alan took care of things. We played with Adeline’s toys as I explained to her that it was very important we stay in her room. When we got the all clear we returned to the family room.

Moments later we discovered wasp #2 (another very large wasp – we later learned there are holes in our screen – need to call the landlord!), so I whisked the kids back down the hallway to Adeline’s room. Alan needed some help with this wasp so I had to come out and help him. I told Adeline (who is now adept at turning knobs and opening doors all by herself) that it was very important she stayed there with Evelyn (I had strapped Evelyn onto the changing table where she was perfectly content – could have left her there all day!). Adeline repeated to me “It’s very important” and I closed the door on them and went out to help with the wasp. Of course Adeline came running down the hallway moments later with Doug in her arms. I expressed to her again that it was “very important” she go back to her room while Mommie and Daddy take care of the “big bug”. She ran back down the hallway and I heard the door shut. Moments later, the scene repeated itself. Adeline appeared. I told her it’s “very important” she stay in her room while we take care of the “big bug”. Adeline replied “it’s very important... big bug,” and repeated it several times. She ran down the hallway into her room and shut the door behind her again. I’m pretty sure this happened about 3 or 4 times before she finally stayed back there “taking care” of Doug and Evelyn.

In the end Alan and I got the wasp and closed the windows. That afternoon we went and bought some hornet spray and Alan took care of the nests outside once and for all (well, for the next 4 weeks anyway). For the next few days when Adeline woke up each morning she would recount to me the events of the day: “Very important... big bug... Daddy, Mommie, big bug... Adeline’s room... very important.” So cute. I love that kid.

No comments: