Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy Anniversary, Alan and Meredith! You've won an all-expense paid trip to... the Emergency Room!!

Yep... Happy #5 to us.

Yesterday when I was out watering our landlord's plants I was nibbled on by quite a few bugs. One in particular, on the inside of my left thigh, began itching immediately. Being bitten, however, since living in the shoebox is nothing new, so I shrugged it off and went about my day.

At 7:00 this morning, when I headed to work, I noticed that the bite had swollen to 3" in diameter. Hm... no ordinary mosquito. Must be another spider bite.

At 1pm this afternoon after arriving home from work I notice that the swollen area has spread another inch all the way around. Needless to say I'm not feeling too great about this.

Alan heads to work about 2pm and Adeline and I took a nap then a walk (once we woke up :). At about 4:30, after the walk, I notice the redness is getting worse and it hurts to walk. Hm... not good. I called Alan at work and he encouraged me to try to do some research online after calling friends to see if anyone might be able to come over to sit with Adeline while I borrow their car to head over to the ER. Mind you I'm not thinking this is necessarily an emergency, however the Dr's office is closed and it's a weekend and I'm thinking this needs to be looked at.

I secure the help of a friend and moments later - about 5 - Alan calls back and says he's in the car on the way home to take me to the ER. Turns out he did some research of his own and discovered it was better to go to the ER and he knew me well enough to know that's it's something I really didn't want to do on my own. At least we would get to spend a couple hours of our anniversary together!

Once I finally saw a Dr in the ER he said it might actually be a tick bite and because they can carry Lyme Disease it was good I came in. He put me on antibiotics and gave me another drug for the itchiness. I should be feeling better by Monday.

We went to the pharmacy to drop off the Rx's and then went to the grocery store while we waited. We picked up some fried chicken for dinner, ate it in the car, then picked up the Rx's, headed home, then Alan left again for work to finish up his shift.

So that about brings us to the current time. Thankfully we learned early on that less is more as regards anniversary celebrations so of the five we've had, this one is actually pretty okay ;-).


By the way, Adeline said "up" today :). So many words!

2 comments:

Laura Liskey said...

wow, what an anniversary! Ours was just about as werid...as my bank account was tampered with the morning of. At least we will never forget these anniversaries:) Glad you are okay!

Rebecca's journey said...

How scary!! Unexplained swelling and pain are never a good thing. Glad you are on the mend. Happy anniversary. So exciting to hear about Adeline's new words!!