Some of you know that since about late June, early July, I started to lose large chunks of my hair. Hoping it was simply stress-related I decided to wait it out because, at the time, it looked like things were going to be changing for us rather soon. Well, when Virginia didn't work out and we started our process over again I decided I had to go to the doctor about it. My primary care immediately diagnosed me with a condition called Alopecia Areata and referred me to a dermatologist, telling me that to treat it she would likely give me steroid injections in my scalp. I'm thinking, that sounds fun.
I had my derm appointment on Monday and she did say that the shots were one treatment option. Then she further explained that due to the size of the balding areas on my head I would need to have somewhere in the ballpark of 50 little shots with no guarantee that it was actually going to work and there was a likelihood of my having to repeat this treatment again in 3 months. Did I mention she also said it's quite painful?? I was very pleased when she recommended not to go with the shots and offered me other options.
After listing a few options we landed on steroid creams. She prescribed two - one for night and one for the day - and also men's extra strength Rogaine (OTC) for when I wasn't using the other two. However when I went to get them filled my insurance only covered one. Guess which one! The cheapest! Of course! The daytime cream they wouldn't cover - the $207 one of course - so we're working on that. In the meantime I'm just going to wait it out (one of the "treatment" options she listed) and see how things go. It will largely depend on what I hear back after a week or so, once the 12-page appeal process has been completed for the secondary meds.
Anywho, that's my sad story with Alopecia, and I only post it here partly so those who know what's been going on can get the story without me having to share it a gazillion times! Oh, and the derm also had my blood checked for a thyroid condition, anemia and Vitamin D deficiency as those things can cause hair loss. The derm described the Alopecia by saying that for some reason my body is attacking its own little hair follicles. Alopecia Areata is more common in those with family members with autoimmune disorders, like a thyroid condition.
So that's it. I go back in October (if we're still here...) for a follow-up. If we're not still here I'll follow-up with a derm wherever we do end up. Thanks for your prayers for my hair :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment