Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, July 10, 2009

Evelyn's Checkup and Adeline's Stunts!

Today Evelyn had her two-month checkup. She weighs 10 lbs. (21%), she’s 22.5” long (46%), and her head is 15.2” (38%). She’s growing right down the middle of the chart and the pediatrician says she’s perfect!

She did need 5 vaccinations. She had three shots which included four vaccines, and the fifth was the rotavirus vaccine which was an oral medicine. The nurse was very good with her – quick, efficient and kind. I was able to snuggle her for a while afterwards, too. She got to be held for most of the rest of the day for her rough morning. Overall she was a real trooper.

Evelyn's badges of courage


This morning Alan and Adeline took Adeline’s usual daily trip to the park (keeps her happy and makes our afternoons better when this schedule is kept :). She’s become quite the daredevil! The following pictures are from her playing on the 5-12 year olds’ equipment. And yes, this slide is very high!






It made Daddy a little nervous, but by the third time she really had it down :).

Then they went to the “waaaaay top” (Adeline’s description) of the little hill in the park (great sledding in the winter!). She sat down and requested that Daddy sit with her. Here are some pics of Daddy and daughter.




Fridays have turned into family errand-running day. We went to The Happiest Place on Earth (where we usually end up on Fridays at some point at least :). Adeline always helps push the cart – and always needs reminders about holding the cart or Daddy’s hand “or Daddy will hold you.” When she sees us pulling into the parking lot she always shouts, “Shopping! Cart! I walk.” It’s very important that she gets the opportunity to walk, and usually she’s behaving well enough for that to happen :).

One thing I’ve learned about parenting – especially a toddler – is always having some sort of trick up my sleeve. Usually this is in the form of fishies or pretzels in a bag and some juice on hand. Oftentimes I’ll also have some books and/or stuffed animals for longer car rides and things. I’ve truly come to own the truth that my child’s behavior has very much to do with my behavior towards her. When I begin to get frustrated or lose it, she will inevitably get worse and misbehave more. If I have something to preoccupy her or give her other options, she is more than happy to go along with my way of doing things. When she gets to exercise her opinions and wants, she’s a much happier little person. And when she gets to do things all by herself she is very satisfied and proud. I have the responsibility and privilege to help make that happen. Every day is filled with “I did it!” with an added “all myself.” It is such a joy to watch my precious girls grow up.

1 comment:

Meghan lake said...

that is so funny... you gotta try "fishing" with Cherrios and pretzels... it's hours of trying to get the cherrio on the pretzel stick... fun times in TARGET!!!