Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 11, 2010

Three-Year-Old Physical & Stuff

Today Adeline had her 3-year physical. The doctor said she is growing right down the middle of the chart and is perfect in every way! She weighs 31.2 lbs (58%), is 37.5" tall (65%), and her head is 19.5" (72%).

She had one shot today, which I expected she might need one or more. I thought she might be behind since it took us some time to get her records transferred from the old doctor's office in Massachusetts, but it turns out she was all up to date, but needed an update of a vaccine series she's already received (all kids her age are getting it). She had no idea what was coming. Prior to this morning I don't think she had any comprehension of what a shot was. She was pretty distraught, but a bracelet, sticker and little orange dinosaur from the doctor's office helped, as did Elmo the "boo boo buddy" which I brought with us just in case, and of course Doug was close by. She's had a sore leg all day :(, but with a little Motrin has done quite well.

When I told her she had to get nakey in the office today so the doctor could see how beautiful she was she really didn't like the idea. So the nurse gave her a little gown (hearkening back to our days in New England, I called it a "Johnny" :).


After the appointment we all hopped in the car and headed over to Lansing to meet some family. Amma drove over with her cousin Matt (from IL) to see Matt's mom Helen ("Aunt Helen" from northern MI) who was on her way south to TN with her first cousin from England Tom (92 years old! No glasses. No hearing aid. In tip-top shape. Amazing!). It was a very fun, somewhat last minute jaunt and we had a nice time together.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We maintain a fairly busy schedule these days and are preparing for some very busy weeks ahead. Alan is taking the youth group to Kentucky to build houses the week of the 4th of July, so he has weekly meetings for that in addition to his regular stuff.

Graduations and parties abound this time of year, so every weekend we've got some sort of event to go to.

We're going to Pennsylvania at the end of the month to see Alan's sister get married. Adeline and Evelyn will be flower girls and I'm spending a lot of time talking to Adeline about her duties and how much fun it will be. She loves to talk about it! "We're gonna drive and drive and drive and drive and drive and drive to Philadelphia! I'm gonna wear a fancy fancy dress and flowers in my hair and walk down the aisle. Aunt Laura goes first, then Adeline holding Evelyn's hand, then Aunt Beckie because she's getting MARRIED!!" Sometimes the order varies, but she will quite excitedly tell you all of that if you ask :). She's very excited to see Grandma, too.

Just a few days after we return from Philly, Alan goes on his trip, then there's VBS at the church, and in the middle of that we leave for CA for a second wedding for Alan's sister. We may be able to breathe for a week or two at the beginning of August before everything starts up again for the fall! We've made a paper chain to count down the days to the CA trip because every morning Adeline wakes up saying, "I go on an airplane today!" The paper chain gives her a little more perspective on the length of time before that happens - insofar as her young almost-three-year-old mind can comprehend such things :).

Oh! And how could I forget to mention Adeline and Alan's birthdays coming up here at the end of June!? :) Adeline is, of course, turning 3, and Alan is hitting the big one - 30!!

I have taken on a new volunteer position at the church coordinating a weekly church-wide meal for Wednesday night activities (starts up again in the fall) in addition to being involved on the Worship Committee, doing nursery duty once every 5 or so weeks and occasionally participating in leading worship on Sunday morning. It's taken some time due to the tumultuous beginning to our time in Michigan (I, of course, am referring to my pregnancy followed by having newborn around), but we are now quite officially entrenched in the life of everyday ministry. It should be some time now before another big change happens in our lives, and I'm more than okay with that! ;-)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Well, I hope you've enjoyed the update on the goings-on around here. Give us a shout every once and a while to know you're still around, too ;-).

Love,
Meredith

No comments: