Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Glucose, OK - Iron, not so much...

I received a call from my midwife last evening. When she told me it was her on the other end of the line I immediately thought, "Shoot. 3-hour Glucose Test for me!" Thankfully, after way too many words were spoken that did not contain this reassuring news, she did indeed tell me that the GTT came back normal - no diabetes here. I am, however, anemic. This explains a lot about the lack of energy, etc. I was anemic with Adeline as well, but this time it must be more severe or this particular group of practitioners takes it more seriously, because I now have to go on an iron supplement. I'm also going to start trying to get more iron in my diet, and I did go back to taking a regular prenatal vitamin because my gummy bears didn't have iron in them. I think all of this will help. I absolutely do not, in any way, want to compromise my eligibility or ability to give birth in the birthing center as opposed to the hospital (especially given some literature I've been reading lately about maternity care in the US...) so more iron it is for me! I've also stepped up my protein intake as I know that is key in the final months of pregnancy to avoid having a low-birthweight baby.

In other news, Adeline said three more words this morning that I didn't know she knew - square, stool and... shoot, I can't remember the third one. She's getting really good at recognizing red and blue without prompting, and now will say, "Love you" if you ask her to. Haven't quite gotten to the point of her just offering a "Love you", but the "hug" and "kiss" are enough for now. It's so adorable when Daddy leaves for or comes home from work. She meets him at the door, hugs his legs and says, "Hug, kiss." Soooooo cute :). (She says "cute" too.)

That's all for now. More soon.

Much love,
Meredith

1 comment:

The Schmidts said...

that's exactly how I was this pregnancy--anemic but fine on glucose. I started taking a slow acting iron supplement called SLOW Fe. It apparently did the trick (although I still felt tired--I was tired the entire pregnancy start to finish though). -Rhiannon